Saturday 20 March 2021

Interview Mihkel Raïm

 Interview Mihkel Raïm

Winning races on 4 different continents and racing on 6 of them. Mihkel Raïm is a real globe trotting cyclist. The double Estonian national champion spent his carreer on all 3 levels in the sport. From winning stages in Japan and Korea to take part in the Vuelta last year. Currently he's racing for the best continental team of 2020. This season, he already won his first race in the colours of Mazowsze Serce Polski. Let's get to know the rider who a race every season since 2015.

Picture : Mazowsze Serce Polski Team / Mario Stiehl

You gew up in a time when your compatriot Jaan Kirsipuu was winning a lot of races. Did he inspire you?

Yes of course Kirsipuu was one of my idols back then. He gave me hope and big motivation

 

You won races from all over the world and raced in 34 countries. Do you enjoy seeing all those different cultures?

Yes I really enjoy racing and visiting new countries. It’s one of the big advantages in cycling that you can really see the countries and real life. You don’t only visit country and stay in capital city, you might go to the smaller villages and there’s the real life.


This season, you're riding for Mazowsze Serce Polski. You already won a race for them this season. What are your ambitions for the next races?

My goal for this season is to make good results and get as many victories as possible. I have 1 but what more then better.


Last year, you took part in the Vuelta. How did you experience 3 weeks of racing?

It was really good experience and lesson, it definitely made me stronger psychologically and physically. I’m proud I was able to finish it and was 1x top 10


What are your ambitions on a longer term?

Ambitions are get to back to pro conti or wt level. I think I can still make results also in the bigger races but also I would be so happy if I could help my current team to the next level


What do you enjoy to do in your free time?

I really like just to chill , if the weather is good I like to make fishing. Last year I got small boat for fishing but haven’t got time to use it so I really hope this year I have the chance. Also I like to travel and discover the world with my girlfriend but nowadays with corona It’s bit more complicated


Which race did you enjoy the most?

My favorite races are the ones which include gravel and cobblestones. Special races for me are Tro Bro Leon and Antwerp Port Epic


What is your opinion on disc breaks? Do you currently use them or would you like to use them in racing one day?

I like disc brakes, especially with rainy days . Of course they are not perfect but nothing is perfect. We could race also with rim brakes but then there should be rule that all teams need to use rim brakes . I think the problem now is that some teams are using rim and some disc brakes. Rainy days the breaking distance is so different that it’s bit dangerous

No comments:

Post a Comment