Thursday 7 September 2023

Interview Federica Venturelli

 Interview Federica Venturelli

Only 18 years old and she already masters every terrain. No matter if it was on the road, in the mud inside a velodrome, she was world class in her category. After a final golden year in the juniors category, she'll move up to the elite category. In the UAE Development team, she'll try to set her first steps in her professional carreer. Riders like Marta Cavalli & Giorgia Bronzini grew up in the same region and she wants to reach the same level one day. Get to know a rider who could  have a monumental carreer.

You're very succesful on the road, track and cyclocross. Can you share your secret? How do you combine all of them on such a high level?

I don’t have a secret, I just think that every discipline helps me to improve in the other ones. Competing on such a high level in road, track and cyclocross is a natural consequence of this improvement.


You took a lot of iniative during the road race at the Worlds. Were you dissapointed that you didn't get rewarded by a medal?

I took a lot of initiative because I knew I was not the best sprinter of the small group that remained at the front during the last laps. For sure I was disappointed with my fourth place because the podium was very close, but this frustration allowed me to learn from my mistakes.


You won a lot of medals on the track. Which one of them meant the most for you?

Every medal was important for me. The silver medal in the team pursuit and the gold medal in the madison are the proof that the italian national team is a great team and that we’re involved in an interesting growth path which will continue over the years. However, the medal that meant the most for me was the gold medal in the individual pursuit. It is not easy to win a world championship for two years in a row and doing it while setting a new world record in the ip was even more special.


Next year, you'll make the step up to the UAE Development Team. How do you imagine your first road races in the elite peloton?

The first races will be very hard because the step up to elite cycling is tough. This is also the reason why I chose a development team and not a world tour team for my first two years in the elite category. I will be involved in a growth path which (I hope) will gradually bring me to a higher level. So in the next I expect to get used to the new category and to gain experience.

Marta Cavalli & Giorgia Bronzini come from your region. Have they been inspirational for you?

For sure. I started cycling because my brother (who is 5 years older than me) practiced this sport, but having such idols near home gave me the determination to try and become like them. Marta lives 4 kilometers far from my house and we have rides together sometimes.


What kind of races do you enjoy the most?

I love road, TT, track and cyclocross equally. I like road because it’s the discipline with more prominence and there are lot of viewers; my favourite races are the hilly ones (even if i don’t have a physique of a climber). I love time trials because they are a challenge against myself. I like track because it’s the discipline which gave me the greatest results and satisfactions during the last two years; my favourite track event is the individual pursuit. Last but not least I like cyclocross (in particular I prefer non-technical courses) because it’s fun to ride in the mud or in various weather conditions.


What are your dreams in the sport?

I dream to win a world championship in the elite category. There are a lot of beautiful races i’d like to win (like Paris-Roubaix or Tour of Flanders), but the emotion of wearing the rainbow jersey can’t be beaten.

How will your cyclocross program look like this Winter?

After road European championships (which will take place at the end of september) I will take a rest period. After that I will do some cyclocross races in december and january, but I will not compete for the whole season since I have to get ready for my first road season with UAE Development Team

 

No comments:

Post a Comment