Sunday 14 January 2024

Interview Daria Fomina

 Interview Daria Fomina

Without much intertnational experience before, Daria Fomina was immediatly competitive in her first season abroad. She immediatly sprinted for podium spots in her first races in Spain and finished her first grand tour comfortably soon after. Before the 21 years old rider mostly raced in her native Russia, but in 2023, she proved that she has a place on the international level as well. We get to know a rider who set her first steps on the world stage of cycling and is ambitious to become a regular competitor in the most prestigious races on the calendar in the future again.


Last year, you gained your first experience in a team abroad. How did it feel to be in this new environment for the first time?

In 2023, I gained a lot of experience both in racing and in life. It was very interesting to join the team, different people, languages, goals and tasks. I have learned how to work harmoniously in a team. I got a lot of positive emotions after racing in Europe.


You set some promising results in local Spanish races, does it give you extra motivation for the future?

When I realized that I could compete, I became more motivated to work even harder, strive for higher goals and test myself for opportunities. After winning the Vuelta a Lea Artibay multi-day race. I began to believe in my own strength more. And I realized that I could also participate in the game.I want to experience these emotions again.


La Vuelta was your first World Tour race in your carreer and you finished it without difficulties. How was it to race against the best in the World?

It was a great experience for me. To see it all with your own eyes. It’s an indescribable feeling when you watch it on TV, and then you take part in a World Tour race with real professionals and see what you need to strive for and how to work, that this is a completely different level.



How did you get into cycling?

I’ve always liked an active lifestyle. I’ve been riding a bike since I was a kid. At the age of 15, having learned on the Internet that you can connect your life with such a seemingly simple hobby. I’ve been thinking about it. I found a place where I could start training and decided to try it.


What did you learn from last season?

Last season I learned how to work in a team. Think and act like a professional



What are your ambitions for 2024?

In fact, it is still very difficult to talk about ambitions for the upcoming season. The main task is to move forward.


What are your interests outside cycling?

If we talk about interests at the moment, it’s spending time with family and friends and a little extreme skiing in winter.


Which person or book does inspire you in life?

I am inspired by several people, and I cannot single out any of them. I am very inspired to work by the emotions that can be experienced during races in Europe, and the whole atmosphere when the race is like a holiday.


No comments:

Post a Comment