Monday 1 January 2024

Interview David Thompson

 Interview David Thompson

Seven wins out of seven races. That's the record that David Thompson set, before he came over to Europe for racing. The young American continued his series of close results on the old continent and secured top 10 and even podium spots amongst the international top riders as well.  The second years' juniors aims to use his experience of last years' campaign to do even better this season. The 17 years old rider dreams of a long career in the sport and starts to taste a bit of road cycling as well. An introduction to one of the most promising yankees in the field.

David Thompson (left) 

You're racing both on the road and in cyclocross on the international level now. How do you feel about this combination?

For me, this combination has always worked well. I have been racing cyclocross for many years and only recently started racing on the road. There have been many cases of cyclocross riders thriving on the road, and I hope to continue my development in both cyclocross and road.


You finished runner-up at the World Cup in Troyes. What did this result mean to you?

To me, this result means proving myself on an international level. Coming from America, you never know how you’re going to stack up against the best in the world. My result in Troyes gave me the confidence to keep working hard.


This Winter, you're having your second campaign in Europe, what do you expect of it?

As a junior, you only have two years to develop and show yourself. During my first campaign last winter, I learned a lot about European racing, and this winter, I hope to use it to my advantage to continue developing and improving.


What are your goals in the sport on the long term?

In the long term, I hope to be able to make a career in this sport. My main goal is to continue to develop and to become the best rider that I can be.


How did you get into cyclocross?

I started racing cyclocross through my dad. He always used to take me to the races when I was little. Even though I was too young to race, I still rode the courses all day.


Do you like to work on your bikes yourself, to try new things?

Yes, definitely. I like to work on my bikes, although sometimes it can be hard when I’m trying to find time to recover. In the past, I have built many of my own bikes and hope to continue learning about how it all works.



Do you like to listen music during your warm-ups? (and if yes, which music?)

I don’t usually listen to music when I’m on the trainer. I will listen to music during the Recon and before I start my warm-up. During that time, I would usually listen to country music or some hardstyle.


What are your favourite weather conditions for racing?

As for me, I don’t mind the rainy weather, especially for cyclocross. A muddy race is a lot of fun. I especially like the course when its slippery but not covered with thick mud.

Pictures : Thepenultimatestage. (Ethan Glading) 


No comments:

Post a Comment