Thursday 4 January 2024

Interview Riejanne Markus (EN)

 Interview Riejanne Markus

Getting a little better every year and joining the world's best. That is what many riders dream of and Riejanne Markus is one of those riders who is fulfilling her dream. The Visme-Lease a bike rider has become a strong time trialist & climber and wants to shine in France again this year. Both, the Tour de France and the Olympic time trial in Paris are marked in her calendar. At the age of 29, she is set for her strongest year in her carreer yet. In our interview, she talks about her own development and also how she wants to lead the team to success together.


You had a top season with many close results in various races. How do you look back on it yourself?

Yes I am super proud when I look back on last season. With the Amstel, Liège and the Vuelta, I noticed that I had really taken another step forward and then when I became Dutch time trial champion a dream came true for me.


In recent years, you have worked hard on your time trial. Which steps have you taken in this discipline to reach this high level?

Actually, I improved a small step every year. In the physical aspect, I got a bit stronger every year, but I also made a step every year in terms of aerodynamics. That's how I got closer to the top, step by step.


Your sisters Femke and Roos are also cyclists. Do you learn a lot from each other?

Yes definitely, it's very special to all practice the same sport. Although Roos mainly focuses on speed skating. Femke and I are actually opposites, so we can learn from each other in different areas. And of course we try to train together and motivate each other to get better.



What are your ambitons for 2024?

I would really like to take another step up in the time trial. My biggest dream would be to start in this discipline at the Olympics. I would also like to do well again in a number of stage races, the Tour de France Femmes being the biggest of them all of course.


It will now be your fourth season in the team. Do you also like to take a leadership role?

Yes definitely, I am often road captain within the team and I don't mind taking the lead on training camps either. It's a role that suits me well and one that I enjoy. Especially with the many young girls on the team, I try to share knowledge or be a trust person.


Last year you made your last film for 'Tour de RieRie', will there be a sequel next season?

I really enjoy doing it, but editing currently takes too much time. I do try to share as much as possible of my daily life via Instagram, but I can't promise there will be a video online this year.


It will be your 11th season in the peloton. What is your most beautiful memory so far?

There are so many great memories, that's a difficult question. But I do look back very proudly at my national time trial title, last year. That was a victory that I dreamt of as a little girl. And I also found the first Tour de France Femmes in 2022 very special to experience. First with Marianne's victories and in the end, with the surprising results the last 2 days for myself in the mountain stages.


What would you have liked to have done if you hadn't become a cyclist?

I get a lot of satisfaction from coaching and guiding athletes. So with my education as a sports and move & trainer coach, I'm sure I would have found a job somewhere in that direction.


No comments:

Post a Comment