Wednesday 7 February 2024

Interview Karolina Perekitko

 Interview Karolina Perekitko


She started with bike rides in the forests around Gdansk. Now, she left her Polish harbour to conquer the podium spots abroad. Karolina Perekitko was 4th at the Juniors Worlds in 2016 and has been working on her carreer against the big riders in the years after. This season, she grabbed her first podium in an UCI race. The start of a promising year where she tries to set another step forward. Get to know the 25 years old rider who wants to make her international breakthrough this season. 



You grew up around the flat area of Gdansk. How did you became such a good climber?

I started my cycling with xc and mtb maratons so I was always doing a lot climbs in the forest. I really liked that. Honestly in Gdańsk in forest is a lot of climbs which help to me a lot. My first race which I won was polish National championships where parcour was in the mountains and from that day I realized that I like climbs and I would like to focus on that in future.


This year, you had a very good start against very good riders, did you change something this Winter?

Yes, this winter first time I did a camp in december in Calpe, which I never did before , because I was always working in winter in factory so I had really busy schedule and didn't have a lot of time to recovery. I focused a lot on my diet to eat really well around training and during training because in the passed I had a problem with that. I focused on specific work on climbs with my new coach and finally all went together and give me this effect.


In 2016, you finished 4th at the Worlds. How did you experience the years after that big result?

After this result I had really tought time, because I put on myself a lot of pressure and I can't hold it. So I struggle a lot of mentally and I was never happy and never enjoy bike and Training.



How do you combine studying and cycling on a high level?

In my school they give to us really good opportunity to have online studying and if I miss some classes it is never problem for them.


What are your goals in the sport?

My goal is to be become better person and better rider and learn from mistake as much as I can :)


What is your most beautiful memory in cycling so far?

My third place in Classica the Almeria is my most beautiful memory in Cycling. From few years I had a dream to get UCI podium and finally achive it. During last climb I felt something like I had in junior that I fly on the bike. After the race I was crying and get a hug with my teammates I will never forget this day.

You have been in the pro peloton since 2017, what changed in the sport since then?

I feel that now is more teams with stronger riders. Before was just few riders which could win the race, now the list is really long.


Did the gap between the different teams grow in your opinion?

I think that now is more teams with good environment. I can give example of my team. We are continental team but we have really good organisation good hotels good bikes and I don't feel worse to the World Tour girls.


No comments:

Post a Comment