Monday 15 April 2024

Interview Milana Ushakova

 Interview Milana Ushakova

Winning your first elite race at the age of 17. It's an achievement that Milana Ushakova already has on her palmares. Last Saturday, she won against mature riders who already won UCI races before. The young Ukrainian is ambitious to keep growing in the sport and aims to become a professional at the highest level. A thousand miles from her tortured homeland, she tries to live her cycling journey in Belgium. Get to know a rider who you might see more often on top of the results sheets this year, and perhaps even on the podium of the Worlds. 


You already won your first race of the season. How would you describe the start of this Spring?

Well, I feel a lot of progress that I have made compared to last year. I am very glad that I have already won two races and also took third place. I also wanted to show a good result at Binda, but unfortunately my sprint was not good, but I’m still glad that I finished in the first group in such a difficult race.


What are the biggest challenges in cycling for you?

Difficult question. Cycling in general is not an easy sport. What’s difficult for me is technical skills. Choosing and maintaining a position in a mass sprint is probably the most difficult thing for me, but I’m working on it.



What are your ambitions in the sport?

Become a professional cyclist. Go to the World Tour team . This is my goal, I know it will be very hard to achieve, but I will do my best.


Where will you race this year?

I don’t have a clear plan yet, unfortunately. I must pass the selection in June. I really hope that I will qualify and have a chance to compete at the World- and European Championships on the track and road. But now prepare for EPZ Omloop van Borsele and Tour du Gévaudan.


How did you discover cycling?

This is not a popular sport in Ukraine, but not far from where I lived there was a track. So my brother started training and competing, and I decided to try it too.


How do you feel about the situation in your homeland Ukraine?

War is the worst thing that can happen, it’s terrible that it happened in my country. My life will never be the same again, and I will always miss that time before the war...


What are your biggest passions outside cycling?

I have been playing the piano since childhood and I love it very much. Now I continue to study music at the conservatory and I like it, but not more than cycling😉


What are your strenghts & weaknesses as a cyclist?

I’m probably more of a hill racer and a time trialist. My weakness is mass sprinting, but I’m trying my best to fix it.



No comments:

Post a Comment