Interview Marion Bunel (EN)

 Interview Marion Bunel

First year among the pros, first victory. An achievement that only a few riders can dream off. Marion Bunel actually realized it. The 19 years old French rider won on a mountain top finish against more than respectable climbers. In her first season, she discovers the peloton and her own skills. The rider from Normandy might become one of the be domestic hopes for succes in the Tour de France in the coming years. This year, she'll already taste the passion around this race. Get to know her already now. 


This year, you won your first elite race. How was this day for you?

It's a day that I will remember my whole life. It was marked on my calendar for a long time. Before the race, I was concentrated and I tried to have more confidence in me. After the race, there was an incredible feeling. I thought a lot about my family. An imense pleasure for the whole team to share with my team mates.


You're a good climber. Do you prefer longer climbs or the shorter hills?

I like mountains and climbs that take 10 minutes efforts.


How did you discover the sport?

Cycling is a passion in my family that I hold since my great grand-parents who sold bikes. My grandfather has been a very good cyclist and my father too. My two sisters are riding too.


What are your ambitions for the second part of the season?

The second part of the season will be more interesting with race that I'm waiting for the most with the Tour de France and the Tour de l'Avenir!


Which new things did you learn in the WT races this season?

Riding with communication, in a team. The practise of tactics of racing (The big team who put on the rhytmn, big sprint finishes...). When I'm on my own terrain in the mountains, I try to mark the the best and I learn more about my capabilities and how far I can go in my efforts.


What are your big interests outside cycling?

My family. Outdoor activities. I love walking, paths, walking in the sea. I love history too.


Which weakness would you still like to improve?

Maybe tactics, but that comes with experience. The mistakes that I make there, are those that I won't make anymore next time.


You're born in Normandy. How did you train, to become the good climber that you are today?

It's true that there aren't mountains at my place. I trained at Bernay (the roads of de lEure and Calvados) and at Caen where I have done my studies. Beyond Caen, it is a bit hillier with the Swiss Normandy. During my trainings, I don't avoid the hills, and I try to get the maximum out of them. Now, I have the chance to train a bit more in the mountains.


Comments