Wednesday 19 February 2020

Interview: Cameron Mason

Interview Cameron Mason

Cyclocross is hot in the UK. The British performances are rising in all categories. We had the opportunity to have an interview with one of the rising stars in British cyclocross. We interviewed Cameron Mason. He's currently competing in the U23 category. He finished 8th on the worldchampionships in Dübendorf and had good results in a few World Cups as well. Let's get to know the young Scotsman a bit better.


 


How do you evaluate the past season?  

It's been amazing. I've made a huge progression, I think. It's been a season of learning as I am still relatively inexperienced. Being in a new learn environment has been different also but it has helped me massively. 3 top tnes at U23 World Cups and an 8th place at World champs shows well that I have done this season. I'm still getting my head around the last few months!


 What are your plans for the coming months?

I have a good 3 or 4 week rest period. I'll do fun things, ride my MTB bike, see friends and do things I wouldn't usually be able to do as much when racing flat out. I'll then start back training in preparation for my Summer season where I'll be racing road and gravel with TRINITY racing. I'm looking forward to the new challenges they will bring as I have not done much gravel or road racing previously.


What are your favourite kind of parcours?

The more technical the better for me. Courses with lots of elevation are good for me as well so places like Overijse and Diegem I have done well on. I struggle on the sand parcours as I haven't ridden much of it before but I hope to improve next season.


What are your future ambitions in cyclocross/cycling?

I want to keep my progression going and to continue to enjoy it all. I wouldn't want to be doing anything else right now and as long as I still feel like that in the future then I'm happy. In terms of specific goals I want to get a medal in a world championships. I'm not picky with wich discipline.


The UK is having many talents in cyclocross right now. Is there an explanation for it, or it's just a coincidence?

I don't think there is really one think that ties all of the UK CX riders together. For example, Evie Richards, Anna Kay and I come from and mtb background and did CX for fun in the Winter. Tom Pidcock comes from CX later and found he really enjoyed it and was succesful in it. We have a solid national series in the UK but it's specific riders and people in the sport who have pushed themselves onto the international scene and progressed.


Is cyclocross popular in the UK?

Yes, it's very popular at regional level up and down the country with very succesful cyclocross leagues being run. A lot of good riders started from there. At national level we are starting to see more international riders make the trip to the UK for UCI points and new races. It's good to see high level CX racers competing on your home soil and bring the level of UK cross up for sure.


What are your hobbies apart from cycling?

I like making videos about my bike racing. The editing of those videos fills my spare time usually. I also like photography, cooking and eating.

Who have been your cycling idols when you were younger and who are your current cycling idols?

When I was around 11 or 12 it was definitely the Athertons. A downhill mountainbike racing family. They made really cool videos about their World Cup racing and I wanted to be just like them when I grew up. Now my idol is problably Mathieu Van Der Poel. You just have to be impressed by him as a bike rider and I especially like his abilities across multiple disciplines. I hope he tries DH or enduro racing soon.



Thank you for the interview, Cameron!

 




No comments:

Post a Comment