Tuesday 21 April 2020

Interview : Allison Arensman

Interview : Allison Arensman

Cyclocross is booming in the US. The level of the racers is growing and also the tracks are getting more exciting every year. They already hosted multiple World Cups and one worldchampionship. The next one will be in 2022. Today, we interview a rider that maybe will take part in this 'home' championhip : Allison Arensman. She's a regular competitor in the American races and she already gained some good results. Let's get to know the 26 years old from North Carolina, so we know for who we should cheer in Fayetteville 2022! 

Allison Arensman - Allison Arensman Photos - Zimbio

We're in April now, how do you look back on the past Winter season?


I am so grateful I got to race a full Usa UCI season again. This was not definite since I had been sideline with chronic fatigue in 2018/2019, and the rebuilding of strength and fitness had been a hard journey.


How are you preparing for the next cyclocross season?


I have an enormous fire burning to get back and surpass my potential I have showed in past seasons. My prep for Cx 2020/2021 has begun with a 3 month training block in Tucson AZ at the Homestretch Foundation. I am half way through this block now. I am training in the beautiful sunshine, dirt, and mountains under the coaching of Katie Compton. Katie and I began working together in March and my fitness, handling, and technique is progressing beautifully

What are your ambitions for the next season?


I aim to be a consistent contender at the USA uci races this coming season. My ideal season would include at least one European race block


How did you discover cyclocross?


I discovered cx (and cycling in general) in 2010 through my brother’s half-Ironman coach, Sonni Dyer from Studio7Multisport. In 2010 I was exiting competitive swimming and praying to God about another sport/competition outlet. I didn’t have the resources to get a bike, so I did not think cycling an option at the time. Verbatim said that ‘Guess God will have to drop a bike out of the sky in order for me to race’. Not only did coach Dyer recommend racing cx, he also had an athlete (who was injured at the time) call him up and inquire if there was anyone he knew who needed to borrow her size small cx bike for the season! So I was able to race my first cx season because of this God-send athlete who was generous to let me use her bike all season. I was able to win the amateur class & have kept going from there


The American women performed very well in the World Cup races this season. The level of the men seems to improve as well. Is cyclocross getting bigger in the US?


I see cx getting bigger in the USA. We have some very exciting racers who are now contenders at the world level! Another aspect to the growth in US cx is the youth participation that has been growing because of programs like NICA (National inter-scholastic cycling association). ‘Getting more kids on bikes’ is the first step to ensuring the future of the sport in this country

Next season there is only one American World Cup instead of two. Do you think it's a bad move by the UCI? What is your opinion on the new World Cup?


I think it is a shame that there will only be one World Cup in the USA this year. With the majority of world cups help in Europe, attending & having good runs at the WCs is especially difficult for Canadians and Americans. I do like the location of the new World Cup, I would love to race this one! ..but I also think the uci should include more countries outside of EU & the US.


How do you see the future of American cyclocross?


The future of USA cx is young! USAC has begun implementing more development strategies through their cx program, which is crucial. It is exciting to see so many junior and u23s garnering high level experience! Especially our young women.


What are your ambitions on a long term?


My top priority and focus is these next 2 years. My goal is to compete for the USA at elite worlds in 2022, when the championships come back to America. Long term, I want to see my full potential develop and see how good I can become with consistent, disciplined work & patience. My dream for this sport has always been to contend full European & World Cup seasons. Competing at the top level of the sport, being a dynamic & exciting contender to watch ...and ultimately doing my part to help the sport change so that the women’s field gets equal opportunities, monies, and respect as the men’s field. Both the elite men & the elite women offer phenomenal excitement, each in different ways. To celebrate both, equally, is key to seeing the sport open its potential for growth & popularity... and who knows, perhaps be an Olympic sport one day!
 












Thank you very much for the interview, Allison. Good luck for next season and see you in Fayetteville!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment