Friday 20 November 2020

Interview Kobe Goossens (EN)

 Interview Kobe Goossens

This season was for many riders an unexpected one. A year with a strange calendar and an exceptional build-up. Kobe Goossens knew how to finish it well. The 24 years old rider from Lotto-Soudal finished 24th and stayed with the best climbers for a long time. The season only finished yet and he's already motivated for the next one. Let's look back and forward together. 




You've started your cycling carreer as a cyclocross racer. Do you still follow cyclocross today? Would you like to take part in a cyclocross race again?

I still follow cyclocross for sure. If I'm at home, then I watch and I'm also still in touch with Toon Aerts. But I still follow it less intensive then in the past off course, but it still still attracts me. I don't think that I'll take part in a cyclocross race in the coming years.


De Vuelta a Espana waas this year the biggest and problably the best race that you took part in so far in your carreer. How did you experience those 3 weeks?

It was actually one big adventure trip that went well for me. I wanted to discover what I would be capable to in the future. It was an unique experience and I've heard that it would be special to reach Madrid and if you're over there. I thought that it wouldn't be much but it was however a very special feeling. It was a dream that became reality. Goosebumps


Do you see yourself as a grand tour rider or more as a pure climber?

I think definitly only GC rider. I'm for sure not the pure climber. I also would have to train a lot more in the mountains if I really want to be able to compete with the best rider. So that is also the plan.


What are your ambitions on a long term?

I would like to develop myself to a good GC rider. Therefore, I still need to do big eforts and hard work but that's the direction that I would like to follow.


What do you think about the corona measures in cycling? Do you feel safe?

I've only took part in WT races after corona and those were organized very well. The Vuelta was the perfect example. I never felt unsafe there. It was kind of a reality check if I came back to Belgium. But in the Vuelta was everything arranged till in the smallest details to let us race on safe way without any risk voor riders and staff!


Kobe Goossens debuteert met Lotto-Soudal in Ronde van Spanje: “We starten  als echte vrijbuiters” | Sport in de buurt | hln.be

 

When do you start your preparation for the next season?

After the Vuelta I will have a 3 weeks rest period and then I start with my preparation for 2021.


What would you have liked to if you didn't became a pro cyclist?

If I wasn't a pro cyclist, then I would have liked to be a policeman en more specificly by the criminal investigation department. It's always ben an interesting subject to me. I'm hesitating about following a work traject to study criminology. So that I can study a bit after training and it seems like very interesting matery to me.


What is your opinion on long stages in grand tours? Do you think that it's good that riders with more stamina get more chances, or it's unnecessarly?

Hmm, that's a hard one. I think that they belong it. Off course, it should stay reasonable. It shouldn't be a very long stage every day, but sometimes they should be included. If you want to win a stage race, then you should can everything, so also long stages...! ;) 

Thanks for the interview, Kobe! 



No comments:

Post a Comment