Monday 14 December 2020

Interview Elisa Balsamo

 Interview Elisa Balsamo

Italy always had good sprinters. Giorgia Bronzini & Mario Cipollini sprinted to world titles. Alessandro Pettachi & Elia Viviani sprinted to stages in the grand tours. But today we had the opportunity to interview a talented rider from the new generation. Elisa Balsamo is even more then 'only' a sprinter. She performed well in some cobble classics as well. Her Vuelta stage win at the end of the season was another step forward for the 22 years old rider from Piemonte. But what are her ambitions for the future?

 

 

It's been a short but succesfull season for you. How did you experience this year?

It has been a really strange season due to the COVID-19 situation. As I live in Italy, I had to train at home for two months and it has been stressful. Anyway, I worked hard under the directions of my trainer and my nutritionist so that I could re-start the season in a good condition that has grown exponentially. Despite the knee injury I had at the beginning of October, I could achive some other goals at the end of the season.

You've finished the season with a victory in the Vuelta. Do you consider it to be the biggest result in your career or you feel more about your victory in California or your second place in London last season?

I can't say wich result is the biggest, all the three races were different. Winning a stage at "la Vuelta" is surelly a special result (considering the strange year we had), but I would say that also the victory in California has its relevance. I usually don't do a classification of my achievements, they're all special in their different ways.

 

 

 

You're currently one of the fastest sprinters in the peloton. Would you like to keep focusing on the sprints or would you also like to try to develop to a rider for the one day classics?

Next year I'll be focused more on the track, because of the Olympic Games. After them I would like to improve my weakness without loosing my strenghts. Winning a spring classic has always been one of my dreams, so I will work for it.

Giorgia Bronzini was the last Italian worldchampion. Do you also dream about taking the world title in a sprint one day, perhaps next year on the flat course in Leuven?

Asking to a rider if he want's to become a worldchampion is like asking which colour is the sky...of course is one of my dream!!

You already became worldchampion and European champion in the youth categories. How do you prepare mentally for such big goals?

Hard work gives me the awareness of my abilities. Obviously the people next to me also have a fundamental part, thanks to which I find serenity when the anxiety grows

 

At the age of 22, you're still in the begin of your carreer. What are your long term goals?

I don't want to be trivial in saying that winning an Olympic medal and a worlchampon title are my biggest aspirations. Surelly I work hard to grow every year a little bit more, to get more experience after every race and to become a great athlete. I kwon I still have a lot to work on and I'm ready to challenge myself.


Brennauer wins Madrid Challenge by La Vuelta | Cyclingnews

What do you enjoy the most? Road cycling or track cycling?

As I said before, I am not used to classifying races, they are all beautiful (or ugly) in their uniqueness and peculiarity.


2020 has been a special year on many ways. What do you wish the world for 2021?

I wish we could all come back to all "normal" lifes, but it doesn't have to mean that we have to forget what this situation taught us as the importance of solidarity and sacrifice for the common good.

Thanks for the interview, Elisa! 

No comments:

Post a Comment