Monday 18 January 2021

Column Doris Schweizer #1

 

Hi, 


I`m Doris Schweizer and I`ll write for cyclingbottle about being a pro cyclist and my life around it. Pro cyclist? Well, I also have a fulltime job besides what my competitors call their profession and that`s where I`ll start my first blog. Life balance, life lessons and happiness.


Most of you know me as one of the best domestiques, a „badass“ racer or as one of those who spoke up against Campana. I`m a 5-times National Champion, but I don`t like to speak about my achievements, you can ask google if you want to know. In 2017 I disappeared for a year from the racing scene to rebuild myself both physically and emotionally from a burn-out and a severe head injury. That`s when I made the decision to not return as a full-time pro cyclist. I closed this chapter without any regrets – I lived the „dream“ to its fullest but my desire for independency and freedom of opinion weren`t compatible with this business. 

I found out I wasn`t made to live the life of a full-time athlete! Don`t get me wrong, I know I was gifted with enough talent, dedication and passion, I had it all. But as a Worldtour-rider you are not supposed to help the mechanic, the soigneurs or the staff. I really struggled a lot with this – those little things (which mean a whole lot to me) drove me crazy in my mind, like really crazy. 

I surely was living a dream, it just wasn`t mine, and it almost destroyed me. A devastating realization. I wanted to make my happiness and health a priority. 


 I am currently riding for the US-team „Illuminate“ and I am a fulltime shiftleader for a fastfood company. Yeah I know that`s a pretty big contrast. I love that.

Combining professional cycling and fulltime shiftwork means you have neither weekends nor days off – not even thinking about a holiday! 

It means you have to train in the dark (either early morning or late night) or in the cold because you can`t go to trainingcamps in the warmth. 

In 2020 I rode about 25`000kms and spent around 900hrs on the bike. That`s about 18hrs/week on top of working 40hrs/week. From time to time I ask myself why I am doing this... Isn`t it torture? Every single time I could say from the bottom of my heart: because it makes me happy! The most beautiful gift life can give you!


When I signed for „Illuminate“, it felt like an environment where I could give back to this sport and to society while having the chance to pursue my dreams all in one! I am very excited for what 2021 has to offer – it surely will challenge us!! I am more than ready – even tough I have no idea when this pandemic plans to let the season start...!! 



No comments:

Post a Comment