Wednesday 13 April 2022

Interview Kaia Schmid


Interview Kaia Schmid

At the age of 18, she showed herself as one of the next big talents in the sport. 2021 was the year of her breakthrough with medals on the road and on the track. After her impressive worldchampionships, Kaia Schmid got in touch with Human Powered Health. She made her debut for the World Tour team this season and enjoys her first year of pro cycling. How does she experience this season and what are her ambitions? The 19 years old American rider tells you more about it in this interview

Last year you became junior vice-worldchampion. Did it feel like losing gold or winning silver?

Obviously, I wanted to win, and I was so close which was disappointing. Like Marianne Vos stated in her Instagram caption after road worlds; “when gold is close, silver hurts.” But looking back, finishing on my 4th world championships podium in Leuven was super special. Any day on a World Championships podium is a good day, and I don’t take that for granted.


 

 

 

 

You're riding your first Spring campaign among the pros. How does it feel to be in the big races among the big teams?

It so cool to be racing against girls I have been looking up to since I first started cycling. I still can’t believe I am riding alongside them now; it was only last year I felt like my WorldTour debut would be years away. I will admit that the level of the Worldtour is quite humbling, everyone is so strong. I think the level is going up very fast in womens cycling, so it definitely makes the transition even harder into the worldtour. This season has brought its challenges, but I am constantly more motivated and encouraged to keep learning and getting better. I’m hoping with lots of time and development, I will one day be in a position to win a world tour race.


It's your first year for Human Powered Health. How did it feel to meet your new team mates?

It feels so good to meet and get to know all my new teammates. It’s also made the transition to world tour pretty easy, having other American teammates and being on an American based world tour team. Everyone on the team clicks very well and the cohesion between us all has been improving each race.

 

What are your favourite races? and on which terrains would you like to improve?

My favorite races are hard races that come down to a sprint. I wouldn’t consider myself a pure sprinter but I do well in the races that have some tough punchy climbs or a reduced size group. I have also really taken a liking to the cobbles so I see myself being well suited for the cobbled classics in the future. I think the longer mountainous climbs are something that I could continue to work on, I really just haven’t got much experience on those longer climbing stages.

You turned 19 years old this year, what are your ambitions in the sport

I have a lot of ambitions in cycling but I’ve always taken small steps up until this point, and never have gotten too far ahead of myself. Obviously I have the big goals like Olympics on road and track, winning a world title on the road one day, winning some of the biggest world tour races, etc. I think most of the girls in the peloton have similar aspirations. But, at the moment those goals still remain dreams for me. In order to achieve those dreams, I like to take small steps starting with qualifying for an elite world championship and getting a top 20 in a worldtour race. Day by day has always been the approach I like to take, one small step at a time. In this sport and life there are endless possibilities, so I just have to keep doing what I do best, and see where the road leads me.


How does it feel to a young American cyclist to race and live far from home in Europe?

I always have thought of myself as a free-spirit who likes to explore and see the world. I know a lot of Americans have struggled living far away from home, but I actually quite like it. It’s so cool getting to experience so many different countries and cultures at such a young age. I’ve already met so many great people, explored so many new roads, and discovered so many cool places. I’m proud that I’m one of the few Americans on the world tour circuit getting to represent at the highest stage possible. The journey has been amazing so far!

 

Many argue for a seperate U23 race at the worlds. What do you think about this idea?

I would also like a separate u23 race at worlds. It just doesn’t make sense how the person that wins the title could finish midpack. It also can change the dynamic of how teams will work, tactics, how many people will be in the peloton, if nations choose to focus on u23 or elites, etc. There are so many unanswered questions at this point. I definitely want a stand alone race, just like the guys have.

You took part in a lot of cyclocross races in the past. Would you like to come back in the sport one day?

Maybe, Nationals is right near my house this year so maybe I go for fun?! I like cross and would consider racing again in the future if I had time, but the priorities remain on the road and track.

No comments:

Post a Comment