Sunday 4 June 2023

Interview Christina Schweinberger

 Interview Christina Schweinberger

From Judo in the Alps to cycling in Northern classics. That's a brief summary of the career of Christina Schweinberger. She turned from a decent continental rider into a rider who can compete for the victories in some of the biggest Spring classics. At the age of 26, she had her best Spring campaign ever, with three top 10 spots in prestigious World Tour races. Her best years are yet to come and together with her team Fenix-Deceuninck, she has the ambition to keep growing. Get to know the strong Austrian, who you might spot more often on her time trial bike as well.


This Spring, you were one of the most consistent riders in the peloton. Can you explain how you experienced this period?

The classics were a big goal for me. Both, in performance and experiences I was happy how it turned out.. Sure, I was sometimes in a situation to go for a big result, and that doesnt happen easily or very often. And I couldnt use this chance fully. So I hope I could learn out of my mistakes this year and we go again for it next spring.

But the atmosphere at the classics is really big and very intense. There a lot of factors like weather, riders and especially the courses, which make those races so special. There goes a lot of preparation in every single race and still you have to react fast and have to make the best out of every situation. I think all that makes it so interesting for spectators, and they make it better for us.


You made progression every year, but you set the biggest step forward this year. Did you do things differently from the previous years?

Not really. I found a good balance this winter between cycling and alternative trainings (cross country skiing for example), and I was never sick over the winter, But I was never a person who reacts fast on trainings. It takes some time to see progress, but I usually didnt loose it so fast again. Hopefully also now.


You're both good in one day racing & sprinting. How would you describe yourself as a rider?

If I compare myself to my sister, then I am not really a good sprinter haha. But it got better over the years. Long climbs or masssprints are not my strength. But at a sprint out of a smaller group or hilly parcours, my chances are higher to be able do something. And together with the TT I would say that makes me an Allrounder.













Your sister Kathrin is also racing. How did it feel to race in the same team for a few years? and how does it feel to ride for different teams now?

We really liked to be in the same team.It giave us always a special feeling of safety, because there is a person around who knows you. So especially when times are not so good (bad results, crash etc.), then we could immediately support each other.

When we went to different team I was afraid this certainty will be gone, but that was not the case! The biggest change was, that we see each other rarely now, instead of every day. Sometimes only at the startline of a race. But for the rest, its the same. We are both really happy in our teams, who give the same kind of support and family-feeling. And we could learn a lot individually, which we can profit from together.


You became Austrian champion last season. What do these stripes on the shirt mean to you?

If still feels like a big honor and I also think it is one of the nicest jerseys. Especially to put it on in training gives a lot of motivation every single time. In the races I have to say I dont think about it a lot. Maybe because there are so many world-, olympic- europeanchampions and generally big names and great riders around, that I focus more on that.

What was the hardest challenge for you so far in your carreer?

Actually I think I wa really lucky till now concerning crashes and illness. So I am grateful, because I know it could be easily different. But the hardest challenge for me was maybe that it didnt go really smooth for quite some time, which made it hard to keep pushing mentaly. Especially when I was still working full time and also afterwards. I didnt have results for a very long time in my career. That made me ofcourse doubt a lot of times.


The best years are ahead of you now. What are your ambitions for the coming years?

It is so great for me to be able to ride for Fenix Deceuninck for the next years, because I think that is important to really work on things an this team is certainly the right surronding for that. I hope to still be able to make progress, and be more often in the finale of big races and play a role there.

Concrete, I am working towards going to the Olympics next year and also TTs are a priority right now.


You made a remarkable progression in time trials in the last 2 years. It's a coincidence or something you have been really focusing on?

Thank you! That was a focus for me, yes. I always liked TTs. A few years ago I set together with my coach the goal, to improve in that area. Since I was doing mostly helping duties in races, he said it is important to have a goal for myself. The improvement ist more measurable and you can see progress, which is really important for the motivation. I know that there is still a lot I can do better and focus more on. I really enjoy the preparation for this events.




No comments:

Post a Comment