The Big Jump #2

 The Big Jump #2

Racing on the international level is a big dream for many riders. For a big group of them, the sacrifices to reach that level are not only made on the bike but also on the plane. Riders in the East of Europe have often only few races nearby and have to save up decent amounts of money to make their trips westwards. Riders from outside the old continent even have to relocate themselves completely and adjust to a whole new lifestyle. In this part, we listen to the riders and learn from their experiences. 


Today we listen to :

Kim Cadzow (22) : Currently riding for EF-Oatly Cannondale. Olympian for New-Zealand. 10th in La Vuelta and 6th in Liège-Bastogne-Liège, this year. 

Tota Magalhães (23) : Olympian for Brazil. Almost Giro d'Italia stage winner and wearer of the blue jersey, this year. Riding for BePink-Bongioanni

Karla Kustura (19) : Bosnian national road champion, also active in mountainbiking on the international level 

Ivana Tonkova (21) : Bulgarian national road champion, riding her first elite races abroad this year with multiple top 10 results.

Racing more then 2000 km from home offers new views but also new challenges in life. You're not just in your own enviroment anymore but you also encounter new opponents, new circumstances, a new way of life.

Tota : for sure the biggest challenge is being away from my family and friends from home.

Karla : The biggest challenge for me was the race in Nové Město na Moravě Czech Republic, where I competed in the junior category. It was difficult for me because I am coming to such a big competition for the firsIt't time. Far from home, without additional equipment, strong competition, a technically difficult course, they did not stop me from fighting side by side with my girlfriend in the Czech Republic. However, I did not manage to finish as I imagined, my tire was punctured, I did not want to give up, I ran and had to leave the track because without additional felugas and equipment it is unthinkable.A bit of a disappointment, but still just a great experience.

Kim : Being away from home is hard! I love my country it’s where I feel my most relaxed. When you move to Europe everything is different. It’s like learning to walk all over again. Ie where to by food, public transportation, languages and just everyday life.

Ivana : My biggest challenge in sports was to be able to prove myself outside the Balkans as a strong competitor. But this is not so easy because in general women’s cycling in Bulgaria is not fully developed and without a team I could not participate in category competitions.

As for many other people, family is also a crucial part of an ahtlete's life. Being often and far away from home, you need support from the home front to sustain doing this. But also early in your carreer, it's often your parents who bring you to the races. Who congragulate you after you won, and who take care of you when you're dissapointed.

Tota : my family is my ground u know? they support me a lot, sometimes I feel their energy by my side on the races and hard training sessions. of course is hard being away but I need to grab the good things, like i live my dream, a love my job, so yeah, sometimes is pretty damn hard, but yet I'm so grateful to be here racing my bike.

Karla : My family had a hard time dealing with this at first because my older brother and I were driving.It was difficult to secure the equipment, we didn’t go to the races that often, but we are still grateful.We drove for BK Tempo. After 2 years, my brother stopped driving and I am moving to drive for another club. It was difficult for me in that club, I didn’t have respect or cooperation, after that my mom and I found our club X Factory CYCLING CLUB. It is much easier for us and we have more opportunities, however the financial situation in my country is not good because they do not want to finance cycling like some other sports such as football, handball..

Kim : They deal with it amazingly well. They come to visit a lot! Watching me race. I. So close to them so we speak on the daily. I’m so lucky to have my husband living with me.

Ivana : My family has always supported me, but there are also many other people who stand behind me, who also did not leave me for a second. They’ve always been there for me even when I wasn’t at my best, for which I thank them and I’m glad to have them in my life

Racing far from home has a few emotional & practical issues. Your clostest people are not with you when you struggle and you have to adjust to a new life style. But it also gives another dimension to your previous life. You can also represent your national colours at the biggest races in the world and make your home nation proud.

Tota : just not having my family by my side to help me when im sick, i think thats a practical issue ahhaha

Karla : I don’t have problems with that to race far away from home. On the contrary when I’m racing far away I am more motivated and proud to represent my country.

Kim : Well firstly getting all your items to Europe. It’s not cheap to get extra baggage. Then it’s so difficult to organise times to talk on the phone sometimes. With the time differences. I had to make all new friends as being new to the sport I didn’t know anyone. Also my dog. He lives at home in NZ so I miss him a lot

Ivana : They are not few, but I am grateful to have the opportunity to compete side by side with the elite of cycling. At home is at home, but in Bulgaria I have no opportunity for development, as our sport is not so developed. it’s much harder outside because you have to prove yourself a lot to get respect

Cycling is a sport that connects people from all over the world. Fans & cyclists who share the same passion. But sometimes cycling has it's own specific things in each country.

Tota : I would say everything is different, how the race develops, the amount of cyclist on the peloton, distance...

Karla : Cycling in my country is not a developed sport like it is in the world, bike paths are not developed, people are not aware of the participation of cyclists in traffic, the financing of cycling is not good. I think with small steps our cycling is getting better.

Kim : Well cycling in Europe is a culture, a way of life. Races go from 20 people to 200. Roads are closed. Supporters everywhere. You get known as a cyclist. Group rides are much more available and bigger than at home. It's like rugby is to nz. Also cars can be much more polite and give u a lot of space on the roads

Ivana : They are not few, but I am grateful to have the opportunity to compete side by side with the elite of cycling. At home is at home, but in Bulgaria I have no opportunity for development, as our sport is not so developed. it’s much harder outside because you have to prove yourself a lot to get respect

Chasing your European dream comes with a lot of things to be excited or worried about. By this advice, you might be able to get the most out of your European dream.

Tota : my advice would be to follow their dreams no matter how hard it is, i think that hard is what makes its great, thats a little bit part of life, difficult times is inevitable. life is a roller coaster u just need to stick to the plan, have a clear mind about whats your goals and keep showing up. the world is for courage person :))

Karla : My advice is to be persistent and patient with your goals, because the greatest thing takes time and stop competing with others- You should only compete with the person who were yesterday and if u are better today, u already won. Its like rugby is to nz. Also cars can be much more polite and give u a lot of space on the roads

Kim : Life here might look super easy in instagram but it’s hard. That doesn’t mean it’s not worth it and the positives outweigh the negatives massively. There is a lot of ups and downs and I can say that progress isn’t linear. I have had the best experiences of my life here. But when you come over. Get a support network whether it’s you family, partner, coach or physiologist it’s absolutely essential to have people you can talk to

Ivana : I would advise anyone who finds themselves in my position. Dream big because sooner or later everything comes true, they must always fight to the end, not give up because the path to success is strewn with difficulties, but they they make us strong competitors. I would wish them a lot of will and a strong psyche, because when the forces are equal, the role of these two qualities comes into play.


Read more about the current situation in cycling & solutions in part 1 :

Comments