Interview Mia Aseltine

 Interview Mia Aseltine

The cyclocross season started half September in North America. In the past few weeks a few new young talents already showed themselves consistently. Mia Aseltine is one of those new stars on the scene. The 20 years old American already gained top 10 spots in 5 out of 8 races so far and is ready for even more. The young Coloradan is ambitious to score on home soil and even abroad later in the season. In this interview, she tells about her personal experiences and about her views on the sport as a whole.

You already gained five top 10 spots in the past weeks. How are you feeling about the start of your season?

I’m feeling great! It’s nice to start the season off in a good spot. I’m so excited to see what the next few months bring.

What are your ambitions for this Winter?

First, I want to win U23 national championships. Afterwards, I will be going to Europe with the Competitive Edge squad, which I am super excited for. I am hoping to qualify for the World Championships as well.

Last season, you had your first races in Europe as an elite rider. How did you experience the journey?

It was quite an experience! The elite women are so fast, and it was pretty rough to just be thrown into the elite races. I also had mono for almost all of last season, and being constantly sick made racing much more challenging. Physically, my fitness took a huge hit, and that was really hard to deal with mentally.

What is your favourite terrain?

In cyclocross races, I love a course that is mostly flat with some steep hills thrown in! In terms of conditions, mud and sand are my favorite

This year, there isn't a World Cup race in the USA. What do you think about that?

Honestly, it’s a shame. In the past, we have had some truly amazing World Cups. Jingle Cross, Waterloo, and Fayetteville were all such fun events and always had a pretty decent turnout. I looked forward to competing in these races for my entire junior career. The loss of these World Cups makes high-level racing so much harder for us. Traveling to Europe is incredibly expensive, and this decision by the UCI really limits opportunities for a lot of upcoming American racers. I truly hope they decide to put the US World Cups back in the calendar next year.

Should the UCI & other stakeholders give more attention to cyclocross in North America?

Of course! Some really fast North American riders have taken to the international circuit in the past few years, and I’m sure there would be more if the UCI became more involved. There are a lot of promising development teams in North America. Cyclocross is not just a European sport!

How did you discover the sport?

I joined a really small development team in 2016, called Avout Racing. At first I just started mountain biking, but then one of my friends also mentioned that she was doing cyclocross. I decided to join her at a few local races in 2017, and I have loved it ever since!

Cyclocross will become an Olympic Sport in 2030. How much does this future Olympic status mean to you?

I know cyclocross racers have been waiting for this moment for years, and for it to finally be a reality is so exciting! Hopefully the future Olympic status will grow the sport even more! I definitely hope to qualify for the USA Olympic team in 2030.


Comments